Saturday, November 23, 2013

STUDY ABROAD: WEEK 12

NOVEMBER 17

Returned to Okazaki today!!

Let’s start off in Nagoya. Before I left the station, I bought some omiyage, as it is a custom to take something to the house of the person you visit. I figured a Nagoya treat was a good idea because I was going to meet with Akane’s family again later tonight.

Akane and Jon actually picked me up from Anjo station, the major stop before Okazaki, and from there we went to the Okazaki mall. The mall back in Toledo is pretty much all on the first floor, but its spread out very widely. This mall was big. Not as wide, but there was three floors, so the sizes were comparable. Another similarity was they both had a Disney store!! It was my first time at a Disney store in Japan, so I didn’t know how different they were. Not just in regards to merchandise, but the feeling of the store itself. I’d say the one back home has slowly changed over the years so now it’s really just a kids’ store. The one in Okazaki, however, was very clean, bright and organized, with just as many, if not more, items for adults. There were a few things I was tempted to buy, but I settled on just one mug. I always wanted one, even if it was different and a little smaller than the ones I saw back in the States.

From there, we were back on track. My goal: find pants.

I found two shirts on sale for a total of 980 yen, which was great. By chance I also ran into Humito, the break dancer I met at Shirakawa Park a couple weeks ago. I said ‘hi’ to him when we made contact, but I think he was a little surprised that I even recognized him, so we didn’t talk much. Then, I stumbled upon a store called Village Vanguard. It was a variety store, and possibly the most interesting place in the mall, with a lot of comic paraphernalia, character goods, street wear like hats and backpacks… the kind of store you can spend a couple hours in just looking at everything. But, I didn’t buy anything, I still needed pants!

Our search extended itself from the mall out to the adjacent Aeon store, where I finally found plus size clothes that didn’t cost two arms and a leg. The pants that fit were a size 84 waist? I’m not sure. It definitely wasn’t based on my kind of shape. Despite that, they fit, and they were made for winter. So I bought them, and a couple sweaters, and emptied out my wallet.

Thankfully, dinner that night was provided by Akane’s family: fried chicken, rice, veggies, koroke (fried mashed potatoes), tempura, and soup. Once again, they wouldn’t let me stop eating, so I ate my full share and then some. They invited me to come back to their house on December 30th to make mochi with their extended family. Looks like I have one day of my vacation planned already~



Before we went to bed, Akane’s grandparents gave me a traditional Japanese sweet, wagashi, wrapped in a leaf. It even came with a small instruction card.


NOVEMBER 18

I stayed the night over at Akane’s house, and we had stayed up a little late chatting last night. Even so, I woke up around 6am to review for my grammar test. Akane also had first period today, so we were up and out of the house by 8am. It was a half hour train ride back to Nagoya, and then a 12 minute walk to school.

Usually, we only have class during 3rd period on Mondays. However, when Mrs. Yamamoto had canceled class a couple weeks ago because of her business trip, she rescheduled the time for 2nd period. Our test was going to be first, during second period, and then we would still have class during 3rd. I studied the best I could during first period, but I’m not sure it helped. To be honest, it was the test format itself that confused me, and the other students. Just hoping it goes better than I expect.

After classes were over kenshiyo and the other guys said they wanted to play basketball. The arena wasn’t open until after 4pm, and it was only 2pm. I had to go home and change anyway, so I left first and waited for the confirmation that they were actually going to play. Unexpectedly, I got home to find a notification in my post box from the post office. The package from my mom had arrived!

When it seemed like the others weren’t going to play basketball after all I ran to the post office to pick up my package. It was heavier than I expected, so walking for 15 minutes trying to balance the box became my exercise for the day. Vitamins, some cleaning solution, my new credit card, various snacks including Skittles, and Ein, the stuffed bear that I’ve had since I was a baby. When I was coming to Japan I just decided at last second not to bring him. It was a nice surprise, and even if it’s a silly thing, I’m glad to just have him sit on my bed and be there when I come home.


NOVEMBER 19

Right now my only cash is 10000 yen, or about 100 dollars. I don’t want to break it, and I don’t want to go to the bank yet either. Thankfully, as I was standing in the Mini Stop today, Yohei paid me back 1000yen for Kentaro’s party. I had fronted the initial 6000 yen or so to cover food and karaoke, and Yohei was the last to pay me back. Just in time too! It covered the groceries that I needed~

At dance practice again there wasn’t that many people around. I finally told the break dancers that I wanted to start practicing with them too. They didn’t seem too willing to help at first, and by that I mean, they said something along the lines of ‘Sure, if you really want to, but it will be hard.’ At that point, I backed off a little and did some hip-hop warm-ups. But I was determined, so before practice was over I went up to them again and told them I was serious. The look on their faces kind of changed, as if they finally acknowledged my request— all I had to do was ask. On Thursday, I will definitely be asking a lot of questions.

I walked home with a little more spring in my step. Break dancing was always something that I admired; I can’t wait to practice and get to know the dancers better. Again, I was glad I summoned up the courage and finally talked to them.

During my walk I happened to cross path with another exchange student, Senkon. He was always quiet in class, and we had never really talked before. I think the extent of my knowledge of him was that he liked soccer, and he works out in the fitness room a lot. In any case, we got to talking, not just about sports and club activities, but about our studies. He said one of the reasons he likes playing soccer is because when he was younger he read a manga about soccer that inspired him. I connected with him on that level, especially since one of my manga series was about soccer. Whatever ice that was there between us was broken. Turns out he’s also going to play futsal on Saturday with the guys. Now there’s another familiar face I can look forward to seeing out on the field.


NOVEMBER 20

I spent my free time today helping Rika with her essay that she was writing for her study abroad application. She’s a pretty good writer, and in my opinion, she speaks well too. I think she has a good chance of being chosen as one of the few candidates. Only two can go to my university, but I don’t know how many get to go abroad in one year. It seems as though the other options are Hawaii and Missouri, when it comes to America. Hawaii has an abundance of Japanese culture and influence there, so if the focus is really to study English and American culture with little to no Japanese influence I’d have to recommend mainland America. Though, many people want to go to Hawaii because it’s Hawaii. I’ve never even been to the beach, but from the way that Joy and the others always talk about it, it makes me want to go there someday.


NOVEMBER 21

We received our grammar tests back. 83%, number one in the class by one point. Of course, it was then that we were able to explain to the teacher how confused we were by the format. She said the final would be the same, so now I’m glad we had this test. When that final comes I will know what to expect.

Another English Cafe, lots of talking about music today. The Cafe where we had our conversations was playing music that made me want to dance. I couldn’t wait to start learning how to break dance!

And then, they (BPM) threw a curve ball. Today’s practice was going to be an inter-group dance battle. All participants had to pair up, one girl to one guy. Kazuma needed a partner, so I volunteered, despite the fact that the only experience I had was that one battle in the park. Now what am I getting myself into? Only a couple other of the participants were freshmen, and the rest were more experienced upperclassmen. It was worth a try at least. Kazuma and I made it to the second round - then I’m not sure what happened, we were just off. Next time I will be ready!

The dance battle lasted until the end of practice. No break dancing today. I met up with Jason and Mark as they were going home; none of us had eaten dinner yet so we stopped at Bikuri Donki (right next to Saizeriya). Unfortunately, their hamburger was not 100% beef, so I had fried chicken and a salad instead. The salad was pretty good, but there was only four tiny pieces of chicken, not at all what I expected for the price. To make up for it I bought daifuku (a traditional Japanese treat, anko filled mochi (rice dumpling filled with adzuki bean paste)). It is quickly becoming my favorite~!


NOVEMBER 22

I finally tested out my credit card at the ATM today! My wallet is once again ready to take on the world, or buy me double dinner. Yes, double dinner. Mistakes, delicious mistakes, were made.

It was just a normal day at first. I was hanging in the library, minding my own business when suddenly I was invited by two Japanese girls to join them for dinner. At first the group consisted of them, two other freshmen boys, Jason and Mark. Coincidentally, I knew the guys from English Cafe and the English class on Wednesdays that I still go to during 2nd period. They invited me, and I couldn’t exactly turn down their invitation. We went to Marukame to eat udon, and I found myself doing most of the chatting with Tomohiro (Tom) about Japanese comedy.

In reality, the atmosphere was a little awkward between the group. I didn’t realize it until after Jason, Mark and I split off from the group to join Taigen at Shooters. It was our initial plan from the start to meet him, but somehow the first dinners plans collided. This meant we had second dinner at Shooter’s with Taigen. We went from Japanese to American style in just a few hours: classic hamburger and fries. The funny thing was that the little flag they stuck in my burger was the China flag…on my American classic, in Japan.


NOVEMBER 23

FUTSAL!!! It’s been a couple weeks, but finally! Once again, I played futsal from 10-12 with Senkon, Kentaro and a dozen other guys I still don’t know. I’m pretty sure they’re older than us though, they don’t seem to be students.

It was Saturday, so I hoped there would be a chance to dance at Shirakawa Park again, but everyone went to Osaka for an event. My next option was to work on my presentation for the Survey class, but the whole school was closed! Is today a holiday or something?


Eventually, I decided to try and fix my bike tire one more time. Mark and Jason tried to help me out this time, but we didn’t do it the right way. I’m pretty sure we put three or so new holes in the inner tube when we were trying to put the tire back on. Oh well, I’ll take it to a shop later. (First I have to find a shop.)

No comments:

Post a Comment